How Much is Too Much?

Illustration by Claudia Liu '17

As springtime rolls around and students slowly wake up from winter, everyone, with the exception of the seniors, are scrambling to join clubs and fill leadership positions. The length of the Daily Bulletin just seems to get longer as applications for Head Alumni Ambassador, Tour Guide, Peer Counselor are posted. The list goes on and on. With all the talk about getting involved, two questions emerge: which positions should you apply for and how much is too much?

Let’s start by addressing the first question. Staring at a list of 10+ applications, it can be extremely difficult to decide on the leadership positions you want to participate in. Although you are not required to be involved with extracurriculars, it’s a well-known fact that colleges prefer students who excel academically but also those that engage actively. From interviews with students around campus, the general consensus is simply to apply for as many positions as you want, but shoot for positions that interest you. In this case, more is better. As long as you have some interest a group or a club, it’s in your best bet to go for it.

Moving on, one of the negative impacts of the numerous amounts of leadership positions is the stress that they create. In a competitive community such as Loomis, the presence of leadership positions can put a bountiful amount of stress on students. When everyone is applying for roles around the school, it inevitably puts pressure on the kids who choose not to seek out for leadership positions. In addition, for the students who do apply and successfully achieve the leadership positions they apply for, the time commitments can be overwhelming. In an interview with a student at Loomis, he claimed how time consuming it can be to keep track of the numerous responsibilities associated with leadership.

Sophomore Ryan Durkin said, “With the multiple commitments I have, it’s key that I manage my time efficiently and plan ahead. As an E-proctor, prefect, tri-varsity athlete, and a student with a challenging course load, I frequently mismanaged my time and ended up with numerous sleepless nights. As the year progressed, however, I quickly adapted and accommodated to my busy workload.”
Although Ryan was able to take control of his busy schedule, not every student is able to do so. With lack of sleep, students tend to give up their commitments. Despite the fact that we are a school that prides itself on hard work and challenging academics, too much stress can produce an array of negative repercussions. Leadership positions are meant to help instill a sense of responsibility and encourage students to become leaders in their community. They are not, however, meant to be detrimental to the mental or physical health of the students. One should not seek too many leadership positions if one knows that one will not be able to manage the burden.