Let’s Talk About Sex, LC (Part 2)

Courtesy of LC Communications

Courtesy of LC Communications

Cindy Pierce is a social sexuality educator who goes around the country to colleges and high schools in order to educate students on how to journey through the complicated sexual culture that we are living in. Last week amid her very busy schedule, I was able to walk and talk with her on the way from the convocation to her lunch in the Parton Room with student leaders. Here is the gist of our conversation:

LS: What’s the number one message that you want us to walk away with?

CP: My number one message is to slow down, take your time, keep your intentions in check, and be kinder to yourself.

LS: What’s the biggest sex related problem facing youth today and what do you think is the solution?

CP: The biggest problem is not having realistic expectations and the solution is to have open dialogue with people who get it; you have great staff members here who are willing to talk about it and who get it.

LS: In what ways can young people help to change their peer group to have a healthier sexual outlook that involves more meaningful connections?

CP: Not putting pressure on each other to engage in sex and to respect each other’s choices to take their time and respect those who don’t take their time; create strong sense of comradery where it’s normalized to calls another out on disrespectful language, and with a family feel people are less likely to mistreat others.

LS: How do you define a healthy sexual identity?

CP: Be true to yourself, you can share that with the people around you, parents, peers, and a small handful of friends who are with you and defend you if you are judged. Keep learning and do research. Overall be true, true, true to yourself.

LS: Why did you split freshmen from the other classes?

CP: Ninth graders need the message, but the other grades need a slightly different one that the freshmen cannot necessarily handle. The freshmen message is watered-down. Seniors and PG’s need a more graphic outlook, such as more stress on porn, because they are going off to college.
Ultimately, Cindy Pierce thinks that facilitating more discussion about this topic will help us here at Loomis create a community with a healthier sexual culture, that does not judge others for their decisions, or pressure others into participating in whatever the “norm” is. Let’s get started.