Swimming & Diving Suits Up for 2015-16 Season

Photo by Olivia Diong '16

The Boy’s Swimming and Diving team has returned to the pool deck to try to improve on last year’s finishes at the NEPSSA Championships and make waves in 2015-16. Over the next few months, the determined pelicans of the Boy’s Swimming and Diving team will compete in a total of 12 meets, leading up to Founders and New England Championships.

At the beginning of the season, the team unfortunately had to make a few cuts. However, they have welcomed 5 new swimmers for the 2015-16 season, including Junior Timothy Eng, Freshman Brady Jalili, Jasper Shi, CJ Owen, and Brian Chen who all possess considerable talent and potential. We have also seen a few new faces in the Diving program with new Sophomores Max Wickersham and Ahn Dao hoping to make an impact in the event. “We are thrilled to have two novice divers learning the ropes with Coach Memo,” said Coach Seebeck.

The 2015-16  Swimming & Diving team is also thrilled to see the return of 13 swimmers and 1 diver: seniors David Chen, Will Meng, Mike Cerny, Tristan Rhodes, and Pat Cody, juniors Pat Craig, Jack Miller, Chris Li, Connor Farrell, Tony Zhang, and Hayden Elms, and sophomores Jordan Chen, Robert Lotreck, and John-Michael LaDage.

This season, the boys’ team is looking for improvements on their 6-4 season and 5th place finish at the NEPSSA Championships. “Already the work ethic and potential of this team really impress me and Coach Shimamoto,” said Coach Seebeck. The team and Coach Seebeck hope to see success at the NEPSSA Championships in March, and they will hopefully top the last three seasons’ 5th place finishes. They also hope to repeat as Founders League Champions this season. “And we’d all love to see Pat Craig repeat as New England Champion in Diving again!” said Coach Seebeck.

While the performance of the team is very important to both Coach Seebeck and the swimmers, they all place equal value on the time spent on the team and the positive environment in and out of the water. Sophomore Jordan Chen said, “Our team, unlike many others, is very close and is like a family. It’s amazing being able to share astonishing accomplishments with people that are considered to be family.” Coach Seebeck would like to give special thanks to the girls’ team and Coaches Deconinck, Bucceri and Shimamoto, for without them, the boys’ team would be less spirited, less challenged, and less successful. Coach Seebeck will be on sabbatical right after the New England Championships and we all hope that he will take this time to rest and find success in his studies as he heads to UConn in New London, Connecticut.