Wordle Conquers Loomis

Sandro Mocciolo '23, Staff Writer

Note: In this article there are 10 words that were previously solutions to Wordle. Try to find them all!
What if I told you the next online trend stealing the hearts of Loomis students wasn’t something like Clash of Clans, Taylor’s new album, a new iMessage feature, or even NFTs, but … a word game? Go ahead, do a double take. Sure enough, the national explosion of the game Wordle has infiltrated the Island. In the dorms, at breakfast, and before class, the famous 5×6 grid can be spotted on many smartphone screens. How on Earth is today’s techy Generation Z loving an activity that they could presumably laugh off with an “ok, Boomer?”
Game creator Josh Wardle must be a genius for the game to have such universal and multi-generational influence. The game is simple, quick, and achievable. It boasts a perfect combination of STEM logic and English semantics, drawing people with diverse interests. The game is not only fun but has certainly developed skills within Loomis students. Ever since January, a certain aroma of sophistication wafts around the halls, with utterances of the word “adieu” skyrocketing. This vowel-rich word, apparently considered English, is a perfect starting Wordle guess as well as a great way to enhance the cultured academic feel of campus. Wordle is also making people smarter, more logical, and less braindead. After all, every extra second spent off TikTok is a blessing. Finally, it’s a massive step up from the boring and demoralizing New York Times crossword.
Yet, with all these benefits, one cannot help but wonder whether Wordle is becoming dangerously addictive. Mr. Wardle certainly foresaw this and implemented an effective anti-addiction mechanism: only one Wordle is published per day. This both ensures students won’t start spiraling uncontrollably into frenzied Wordle streaks for hours and, as the cynic might say, prolongs the trend’s lifespan.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t enough. Mischievous programmers across the internet have created offshoots that frame the game differently but still prematurely give people their next Wordle fix. Many derivatives of the game exist, allowing people to fill more and more hours of their days with guessing games. Some of these games are commendable and interesting, while others are simply horrible. For example, the math-based game Nerdle, whose premise is guessing equations, is an impressive rival to Wordle. But the game Letterle, whose premise is literally tapping random letters on the keyboard until you guess the letter of the day, is obviously mind-numbingly stupid (but somehow still addicting). There’s Absurdle, Taylordle, Hello Wordl…essentially, people can continue satisfying their Wordle needs throughout the day just by typing new URLs.
In addition, the 24-hour release pattern might not be enough to reduce people’s reliance on Wordle. Let’s all admit we’ve sat around at 11:56 p.m. staring at the release countdown timer, aching for the screen to reset to those blank squares of opportunity. Really, imagine what would happen if Wordle simply ceased to exist tomorrow. Oh, the despair! The campus would plunge into utter depression, perky smiles wiped from faces, the halls cloaked in a bleak shade of gray. This emotional reliance on Wordle is evidence that even with the periodical release mechanism, we are still addicted. Plus, the bitter controversy over light versus dark mode can’t be a good thing. Could this addiction be truly good for our brains or a cycle of catastrophe? It is for you to decide. I’m sure many of us are still haunted by the ghost of the word “ulcer,” which killed so many of our streaks last week. Don’t let it bring you down. In my opinion, Wordle on.