Spotlight on Winter Student Athletes

Nicole Levine '24, Contributor

Sam Mancini
Sam Mancini ’24 is a member of the Loomis Chaffee Girls Varsity Basketball team. She is from Middlefield, CT, and is also on the varsity volleyball and track teams.
“My goal for this basketball season is to help any way that I can to help lead the team to success; [and for the future,] my goal is to play basketball in college.”
The team prioritizes a balance between hard work and having fun together. The girls basketball team is often seen together both on and off the court.
“The team environment is very uplifting,” Mancini said. “We always push each other to be our best selves and are constantly making each other laugh,” she continued.
Mancini spoke to the rewarding aspects of playing basketball for the past ten years.
“Something I find beneficial…is all the life lessons [basketball] has taught me, such as persevering through hard times and always having to work hard for anything that I want in life.” Sam said.

Presley Paredes
Presley Paredes ’25, a boarding students from South Norwalk, CT, plays forward on the Loomis Girls Varsity Hockey team. Presley also plays field hockey and lacrosse, and has been playing Ice Hockey for nine years.
The Girls Hockey team currently has seven wins from their first half of the season, defeating Westminster, Kent, NMH schools, and more.
“Everyone is so welcoming, supportive, and caring.” Presley said, in regards to her first-year experience on the team. “On and off the ice everyone gets along and looks out for each other, and [the girls] only want the best for you”.
Presley decided to come to Loomis because of the sense of community, prominent academics, and especially team culture which motivates each player to work their hardest.
“[The team environment] is optimistic and encouraging,” Presley said. “[I want] to play my part on the team, and work the hardest I can for myself and others,” she continued.