LC Fall Sport Athletes

Lexi Barry ’25 in cross country training

Cindy Lin '25, Contributor

Lexi Barry ’25
As Loomis Chaffee eases into the school year, sports on the Island are gradually intensifying. Throughout practices, games, and meets, our Pelicans are demonstrating true perseverance and team spirit.
Lexi Barry ’25, a freshman day student from West Hartford, CT, runs cross country in the fall. Although it’s her first year on the LC Girls Cross Country team, she’s already made her mark as one of the fastest runners in the varsity division.
Barry’s most recent meet was the NMH Invitational that took place on Saturday, October 2nd. Four other high schools—Phillips Academy Andover, St. Paul’s School, The Winsor School, and host Northfield Mount Hermon—sent athletes to participate in the meet, and Barry led the team of 30 Pelican runners to victory with a 5K time of 21:14, placing 4th out of 89 total racers.
Her time marked a 46-second improvement from her time in the Choate Invitational, the first meet of this season. Barry attributed her success in cross country to her coach, her teammates, and her parents.
“My dad has been the most supportive of me… [He coached] my middle school cross country team and comes to home and away [LC cross country] meets,” she said.
“[my teammates] are very supportive and push each other to run to their full potential. Everyone always congratulates each other after races and cheers on others if not racing,” she added.
Barry, who has been running cross country for three years, disclosed that her passion for the sport emerged in middle school.
“My middle school had a cross country team and [I joined it because] I had always loved to run and play sports,” she said.
Alongside her impressive achievements in cross country, Barry also trains hard for her main sport: lacrosse, hoping to join the Loomis Chaffee team during the upcoming spring season. “I have been playing [lacrosse] since I was in first grade,” she said. “I was on the West Hartford Travel Team in middle school, and I play for the Connecticut Shoreline Sharks Tournament Team in the summer.”
When asked about her goals for the rest of the fall season, Barry said, “I would like to give my best effort at every meet, continue to improve my times on the 5K cross country course, and always be a supportive teammate to help everyone run their best.”

Benson Wang ’23
This season marks Benson Wang’s ’23 second year playing on the LC Boys Varsity Water Polo, a junior boarder from San Ramon, CA. Wang remarked that he initially tried out for water polo to get in shape for the swimming season.
“My main sport is swimming in the winter,” he said. “But [once I joined the team], I felt that the general atmosphere of the team was supportive…[My teammates and I] all push ourselves to be the best team we can be, and it fosters a lot of camaraderie.”
Although the LC Boys Varsity Water Polo team had a rough start to its season, Wang expressed his hopes for improvement.
“I thought it was a great game even though we lost,” Wang said about the team’s most recent game, a loss to Williston Northampton.
“[It was] definitely our best game this season, and we generated a lot of good offensive opportunities while shutting down their hard counterattacks…I could have had some easy goals [against Williston Northampton],” he said, “but it’s ok [to make mistakes]. We learn from them.”
Wang credits his coach, Mr. Pond, for his significant improvements in water polo.
“Coach Pond has been a huge influence. Without his guidance and structure, I wouldn’t have learned and developed in the game as fast as I did,” he said.
Wang asserted that his main goal for the 2022 season is to demonstrate his leadership on the team as a senior.