The Lasting Impact of Sports

Nick Dalessio '23, Contributor

For most people, sports are a way to enjoy yourself and have fun. However, Girls Varsity Track & Field Coach, Mrs. Lilian Hutchinson, has athletic experiences that extend further. Mrs. Hutchinson was fortunate enough to compete in softball at the collegiate level, attending Randolph-Macon college in Virginia. Even before pursuing collegiate softball, she was always an athlete.
“When I came to the US [from Honduras], I did end up giving up my primary sport, which was track and field,” she said. “I picked up softball which I played when I was younger.”
Despite the minor tussle over which sport to play, Mrs. Hutchinson’s overall appreciation of these pastimes came to mind. “Sports [are] really important to me,” she said. “[They’re] a way to decompress from the grind of the academics. I feel that, as a female, it’s really important to do sports.”
‘Hutch’ desired a college that would push her to grow not only on the softball field, but better her as a human overall. Choosing to attend Randolph-Macon, an all women’s school, was easy. “I went there because there was a level of expected excellence and female empowerment,” she said, “going to that university completely changed my life. I was able to find my voice as both a person and athlete.”
After graduating from Randolph-Macon, Mrs. Hutchinson ensured that athletics remained a part of her adult life, and she became an assistant coach to Mr. Scott Purdy on the Loomis Chaffee boys track and field team, before later being promoted to girls track head coach.
“When the longtime coach of the girls team retired, I was able to take over that program, ” she said. “Based on numbers, it is the largest interscholastic team on campus.”
Mrs. Hutchinson has found her new role to be one of great success. “I love [being influential] and helping all those girls find their voices as female athletes,” she said.