The Ice Rights Movement

Isabella Wang '24, Contributor

Winter this year has been full of dropping temperatures and lots of snow. It seems like as the days drag on sluggishly from the chill, the amount of snow and ice just increases. With the lowered temperatures, there has been the addition of an ice rink on campus, where students have fun and enjoy the pleasures of skating on the ice.
However, while humans find happiness in these acts, it has never been considered what the feelings of the ice may be on this topic. Today, we will be diving into the two main reasons why ice should be treated better.
1. Ice Appreciates Warmth!
Ice can be compared to a cat. While it may be cold towards you (well, it is frozen), it can often be found basking under the warmth of the sun and on top of trees with no hope of ever coming down. It is obvious to conclude that ice appreciates warmth, which is something that humans have plenty of in the form of body heat, fluffy jackets, and any modern tech that produces heat.
Additionally, ice is just frozen water—it would make sense that ice would prefer being in a form where it has more mobility and flexibility. Like water, it can move freely and, in general, be more energized! Who wouldn’t like to be able to dance around instead of being stuck in one position for whoever knows how long?
Of course, as vapor, it would have even more benefits, but since a human’s body heat is under the boiling point of water, ice will simply have to settle with water as its best option.
2. The Cruelty of Blades!
Imagine what you would feel like if the only interaction you had with a group of people was when they use sharpened steel to carve into your very being, marking you with hundreds (maybe even thousands) of wounds and scratches. You would probably feel very hurt—physically and mentally—and angry towards this group of people, perhaps even sad or mournful for the friendly relationship that you could have had. Or you might not feel anything at all.
You see, ice has a natural resistance towards metal digging into it because of its hard, solid state, but humans, while solid, are pretty squishy and don’t really deal well with being stabbed. Ice is holding up against this harsh treatment because of its nature, but just because it can handle being treated this way does not mean that it’s alright to keep doing so.
While these are the main reasons for why the feelings of ice should be considered, they are only that—the main reasons. There are definitely many more out there, perhaps frozen deep within the heart of some chunk of ice, waiting to be given the conforming warmth of a human without steel blades.