Weekly Update From Head of School 1/19/2021

Lana Sheng '22, Staff Writer

Dear Students, Parents, Faculty, Staff, Campus Squirrels, and Frogs,

We are nearing the end of our first winter term, and I hope you all have been staying happy and healthy while fulfilling your commitments. Understandably, this may be a time of stress, as our students and faculty have been feeling the brunt of Loomis Chaffee’s rigorous workload. In the midst of this term’s hectic scheduling, I hope you all find some time to practice mindful behavior. My personal recommendation would be to use Headspace, as they have a variety of soothing programs that enable you to ground yourself.

Speaking of which, this message was sponsored by Headspace. Get 20.21% off your first purchase with my promo code, SHEILA123.

We, as the Loomis Chaffee community, are fortunate enough to be blessed with the great opportunity of inviting our student body and staff back onto campus for our remaining terms. Our team of pelicans has worked incredibly hard over the past months to achieve this feat, and I would like to personally congratulate those who have given up their time, energy, and fish to make this happen. Oh, and of course, thank you to our hardworking faculty and staff as well. I am sure they have achieved wonders too, but as you may know, I may have been too preoccupied with my birdwatching.

To ensure the safety of those who will be returning on campus, we have developed protocols that are in line with the CDC’s latest requirements. In addition to the four large tents that we purchased during the fall months, we have also purchased four medium tents along with four small tents for socially distant outdoor gatherings. Furthermore, we have reduced our class sizes from an average of 6-8 pupils to 0, in order to comply with social distancing requirements and to ease the workload of students and faculty.

Finally, after months of identifying a key safety issue, we would like to reveal our revolutionary, redesigned, rhombus, rachidian, and rhubarb health initiative, produced in our very own Pearse Hub for Innovation (PHI). Introducing… the relaminated “Please Turn Your Chair Around After You Finish Your Meal” signs in the dining hall! Needless to say, our community as a whole is extremely proud of what we have accomplished.

We hope that these improved health measures can reduce any worries in our community about our school’s safety amidst the pandemic. Loomis Chaffee is a community that values mental wellbeing, so I would like to remind you once more of Headspace’s services (again, the promo code is SHEILA123). With that, I would like to leave you with a monumental and thought provoking poem:

I do not like them in a box
I do not like them with a fox
I do not like them in a house
I do not like them with a mouse
I do not like them here or there
I do not like them anywhere
I do not like green eggs and ham
I do not like them, Sam-I-am.
—Dr. Seuss

Warm regards,

Sheila

(Disclaimer: the promo code is not real, nor was this message actually written by Dr. Culbert… obviously)