E-Proctors, LCCA, Project Green, ESG: What’s the Difference?

Ella Xue '23

Students painting pumpkins at an event hosted by Project Green, one of four environmental groups on campus.

Dora Lin '23, Contributor

From pumpkin painting on a casual Sunday to lobbying representatives, environmental groups on campus have organized to help alleviate the climate crisis and raise awareness. However, distinguishing between the different environmental groups working towards the same goal can be challenging for students.
A major organization on campus dedicated specifically to taking political action around climate change is Loomis Chaffee Climate Action (LCCA). This group hosted a follow-up to the September 20th climate strike in Hartford last year and has been involved with local and federal level lobbying meetings. This year, LCCA is splitting into task groups such as California Lobbying and Connecticut Lobbying.
“LCCA is special because we approach the climate crisis from a political climate action perspective, involving lots of off-campus work…We are providing our members with opportunities to establish connections that last long after graduation with powerful and motivational environmental groups,” said Tallula Johansen ’22, a leader of LCCA.
E-Proctors, after merging with Ag-Proctors last spring, focuses on promoting environmental consciousness and a more sustainable lifestyle. Their main initiative this year is establishing composting on campus.
It is difficult to establish a clear plan for this year, with students both virtual and in-person, since much of their work is reliant on being in-person.
“We have more of an education aspect–this means we’re teaching our community how to be more environmentally friendly…We are also more official in the sense that this organization was established by the school, not by students, so we have more authority in conducting events and projects,” said Bhrus (Pun) Sangruji ’21, a head E-Proctor.
Another environmental sustainability program is Project Green, a student-run club promoting sustainability and environmental awareness. Following up their recent pumpkin painting event, the leaders plan on hosting events such as solar fest, a TerraCycle initiative, Project Green Night (which includes notepads and smoothie bike), as well as more pumpkin painting. Their main goal of the year is to reduce the use of single-use plastics and establish a writing initiative with the Log.
“The uniqueness of our club is the fact that it’s member-driven. You do not have to apply for a leadership position to be a member, which makes a sustainable lifestyle accessible to everyone. Everyone can be a part of Project Green and make a difference in the LC community,” said Biani Ebie ’21 and Kate Shymkiv ’22, leaders of Project Green.
The Environmental Social Governance (ESG) group combines investing and environmental sustainability. In 2017 an anonymous donor gifted $100,000 towards the endowment, intending to incite the formation of an ESG group. Since then, leaders of the club have worked to build an investment portfolio focused around not only on following ESG values, but also has seen growth comparable to the school’s endowment.
“This year with the addition of new members, we hope to engage more of the community in our efforts while also educating students on the possibility of creating an environmentally conscious and successful portfolio. I think that the ESG group covers a section of environmental sustainability that is not covered by any other organization at Loomis Chaffee,” said Harry Knight ‘21, a member of ESG’s leadership and a Log News editor.
Every student leader interviewed believed that having multiple groups on campus focusing on the ongoing climate crisis is beneficial. Recently, groups including LCCA and E-Proctors collaborated on events during the Halfy bEARTHday week hosted by the E-Proctors.
Bhrus (Pun) Sangruji, a head E-Proctor, said, “[With the emerging groups focusing on sustainability] I feel like the student body may be a little confused about the identity of what Loomis is trying to do with environmental sustainability. But at the same time, it is also better in the sense that we have more people focusing on these issues. There are pros and cons to both sides.”
“Climate change and the environment have many layers to them so it is amazing that each club and organization tries to cover their own aspect and spread awareness,” Biani Ebie ’21 and Kate Shymkiv ’22, leaders of Project Green, said.