Evening Classes Are Surprisingly Pleasant

Lana Sheng '22, Staff Writer

3:20pm. In past years, these three holy numbers on clocks around campus signaled the end of the academic school day for all. However, the unparalleled start of the 2020-21 school year has led to some crazy schedules. For some students this year, ending school at 9:10 pm is an unexpected reality, but given the last few months, the unexpected has become the expected.

When I first saw my schedule for the term, I was surprised to see a class scheduled for 8:00 pm.
“Surely, it must be a mistake. 8 pm! I am a grandma and I would like to get settled for the evening by 9:00 pm,” I thought.
After realizing that the evening classes, B5 and B6, were designed for remote learners and students in earlier time zones, I became more understanding.

While the timing seems cumbersome, I do not really have complaints. The only challenges I have faced so far with an evening class are remembering that I have a class, and adjusting my schedule to accommodate it.

It is easy to go through your day (i.e: do homework, exercise, run errands) and feel accomplished by the evening. However, the thought, “Oh no, I can’t loaf around and watch Netflix yet—I have class!” spurs you into action. After the first two classes, you get used to the schedule and your mind is back in school mode by 7:59 pm.

The challenge of adjusting my schedule is also easily fixed. Usually, by the end of class at 9:10 pm, my brain is already tired from the day and the lesson. There is little motivation and time left to complete your homework for the class without compromising a healthy sleep schedule and sanity. So, it helps to put aside school-related tasks for the night and really relax in the time that is left.

As expected, the mornings and afternoons are where productivity must occur. The large block of time during the day allows you to plow through the homework, the asynchronous lesson, and other assignments that may have built up. This time has proved helpful when I did not have time to complete the asynchronous lesson the day before. Although it may feel like you have two of the same class in one day due to this method, it’s reassuring to know you can still complete it the day of. Since leading a balanced lifestyle is important, I fit in workouts in the morning or afternoon as a break from sitting at a desk.

Now, what is a teacher’s opinion on teaching an eight o’clock class? Learning and teaching are different sides of the same coin.

“I’ve always been a morning person”, Assistant Director of the Kravis Center and History Faculty Mr. Harrison Shure said.
Mr. Shure noted that it’s a different structure to the day than what we’re used to, as we have to restructure our self-care and work moments.

However, most of the challenges stem from the online component of teaching, rather than the time.
“The inter dynamic relation in class is harder to manage during Zoom than in person. So much of what we do in the history classroom is talking about ideas and how we interact as people…from a teacher’s perspective, there are some teachable moments in there, like how to politely disagree, or challenge one’s idea,” said Mr. Shure.

It is heartening to know that a teacher’s experience is not so different from a student’s after all. Despite the initial strangeness of having an evening class, with time, it has become enjoyable.