How Will Schools Adapt to Reopenings?

Edward Park '23, Contributor

When is the ideal time to reopen the economy without potentially triggering a second Coronavirus wave? This question has been debated among politicians, economists, and public health experts. Nevertheless, in an effort to revive the American economy, states have been easing lockdowns and reopening businesses.

“Although there is much risk involved, the economy has to reopen at some point. The cost of the lockdown, such as the 33 million job unemployment claims, is too great to hold up with,” said Mr. Mat DeNunzio, an Economics Faculty.

On May 7th, the U.S. surpassed the grim milestone of 33 million unemployment claims. These numbers continue to rise as the economic shutdown continues to wreak havoc on the U.S. economy.

Politicians have been pushing to reopen schools as the next step in reopening the devastated American economy. However, no matter how hard politicians try to reopen schools and liberate parents for the workforce, reopening classrooms is not an easy matter.

School districts and educators are faced with the difficult task of making schools pandemic-proof. American school districts are seeking ideas from other countries that have implemented measures to limit the spread of the virus in a school environment.

Staggering classes on different days is the protocol for schools in Japan and Australia. In China, cafeteria tables are enveloped in plastic dividers and student’s temperatures are taken before attending school. In Germany, class sizes have shrunk, hallways are one-way, and teachers are required to wear masks.

As for the possibility of Loomis reopening its campus in September, there is no definitive answer at the moment.

“We don’t know the outcome of the future. The Loomis reopening committee will look over every bit of information to come and make the appropriate decision,” said Mr. DeNunzio.