How Students Feel About Being Locked Up With Their Families

Madison Hua '23, Contributor

After a lengthy month of online school, students are tired of constantly staring at their computer screen for long periods of time. Not only are we straining our eyes, but we have shifted from being independent at a boarding school to being around our families every second of every day.

The stay-at-home order has made many people try to find something to do to occupy their time. While there are moments when we feel the need to be around our families, such as watching movies on Friday nights or having daily family dinners, students often feel that being around their families can be a bit excessive, and that we ultimately need our space.

“Overall, I’d say that being quarantined with my family has been incredibly difficult, but I think it’s important to acknowledge the fact that these times are difficult in the first place,” said Tallula Johansen ’22, a sophomore living in Northern California. “The main thing that I’ve struggled with is feeling like I have some freedom and independence. I’ve always felt like I’ve had more freedom simply by living away from home, despite the fact that my parents are really considerate about giving me space,” she said.

At Loomis Chaffee, students get the freedom and independence they need, and by being stuck at home, that privilege is taken away from us.

“Both of my parents are going through difficulties of their own regarding COVID-19 related work changes,” Tallula added. “Trying to be there for them while I’m struggling to even be there for myself is probably one of the hardest things I’ve had to balance all year.”

The COVID-19 situation has placed many families and students in difficult situations they never thought would happen to them. Students and parents are left unprepared and stripped of the simple right to go outside and enjoy time with their friends. On the other hand, some students see this opportunity as a chance to make up for missed time together.

“I think staying with your family allows more time to make memories, especially for boarding students who may not have had time to spend with family members,” said Emily Khym ’23, a freshman from South Korea. “Sometimes, people could find it annoying, but it’s a time to cherish and make the most of it with their family members. I get to go outside and walk my dogs or get some fresh air, which I think is a key part of how I am surviving. Honestly, I think all my family members are quite content and happy, especially with our two dogs to help with our boredom.”