Community Service Continues During Quarantine

Maeve Dowd '23, Contributor

Even during this coronavirus pandemic, Loomis Chaffee students are still able to do their part for the common good. The Community Service Program offers many opportunities for students to help their local hometowns as well as the LC community. Both virtually and in-person, Loomis students are putting the school’s motto into action during this period of self-isolation.

“Although traditional community service programs are not happening this term, the needs of the communities we serve are still present and are indeed growing as the numbers of people out of work rise due to social isolation and quarantine requirements,” Director of Community Service Heather Henderson said.

To meet these growing needs, Loomis has offered different ways for Loomis students to get involved. Students can contact agencies in their hometowns to find out how they can support their community.

One way students can help is by making homemade masks for healthcare workers. The CDC recommends wearing a mask to prevent getting infected by the coronavirus, but many people do not have access to these masks. A great way that students can help is to watch simple YouTube tutorials for how to make these masks, and then send them to nearby homeless shelters or medical workers.

Mitali Vedula ’21 started an initiative at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center (CCMC) to encourage people to make masks for young children that have autoimmune disorders. The medical center has an urgent need for these masks since regular masks are too big and do not work effectively as a preventive measure.

Community service does not have to be local. Loomis students can connect with younger students by tutoring children from various countries. This volunteer project allows students to continue their education even when schools are closed. There are two programs at Loomis that involve online tutoring. One program teaches English online to children in Colombia, and another program teaches English to students at public schools in Windsor and Madina Academy.

There are also organizations such as Fora, a volunteer tutor program, that provide Loomis students with the chance to assist international students. Through this program, Julia Lantner ’22 met a girl who escaped from Myanmar to the United States, and she teaches her to read and write English.

Even simple tasks can make a noticeable difference and can help communities stay connected. El
lie Abrams ’23 delivers groceries to her grandmother’s neighbors who are unable to leave their homes on their own. “I chose to help the older people in my community because they have a higher risk of contracting coronavirus than younger people. I thought it would be a good idea to help them in any way possible to make it easier for them in times of need,” Ellie said.