Walkouts in Other Boarding Schools

Credit: Madeleine Hong

By Monica Kim

With so much tumult and controversy present in this country, the student body of the Loomis Chaffee decided to take action: a walk-out. On April 20th, led by program organizers, Cathy Hyeon, Caroline Colao, Blaine Stevens, and Anya Sastry, students who volunteered to join the walk-out walked out of their classrooms and dorms to join the call for tighter gun regulation. Cathy Hyeon gave an inspiring speech on her personal experiences and relationships she had with the gun violence victims. Her speech had touched upon our emotions greatly and gave us more reason why we really had to take action. The other organizers also gave speeches that related to their strong opinions and reasons for why students should be an important part of this controversy. With no doubt, the students’ hearts were touched upon by their peers with the realization of their responsibilities, duties, and opportunities.

Not only Loomis, but many other senior boarding schools like us have had their own student-led or school sponsored events that allowed students to publicly speak about their opinions on gun control.

In St. Mark’s School, Southborough, MA, there was a walk-out similar to that of ours.

In Taft School, Watertown, CT, students led a protest with marches and posters.

In Phillips Academy, Andover, MA, they had a protest similar to that of Taft’s.

In Lawrenceville School, Lawrence Township, NJ, students led a forum, which students could voluntarily discuss their opinions, and a school sponsored trip for a protest, Mark For Our Lives.

In Choate Rosemary Hall, Wallingford, CT, the students led a protest with speeches and presentations.

Such happened in Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, New Hampshire and St. Andrew’s School, Middletown, DE as well.

So many schools, including boarding schools like us, have held their own different events to let the students express their opinions and take active action on a wide controversy that has been taking so many innocent people’s lives. From such events, we should all realize that the students do have power to make a difference and that our opinions do matter.