Class Meetings: Waste of time or valuable community experience?

Photo Credit: Monica Kim

Written by: Monica Kim ’19 (Web Staff Writer)

Class meetings are a way to get together with your class and stay updated on the school events and happenings. As a mandatory meeting, all students in each classes get together to listen to announcements and sometimes, Hubbard Talks. There are pros and cons about these meetings that we as a community should consider.

First, the pros of class meetings. Meeting entire class, students feel connected to their peers and the teachers. Being able to volunteer themselves to make an announcement in front of everyone, students are able to step up and get out of their comfort zones. As an accepting environment, class meetings encourage students to feel motivated to have the initiative to call for action among the class. Students also have an opportunity to feel like they are an important part of our large community that can influence others. Some of our students, as leaders who strive to bring the class in achieving various goals that benefits the school community, can give speeches that inspire other students and expand our horizon to perceive bigger ideas and goals.

However, there are some cons of class meetings as well. As a mandatory event, students may feel more overwhelmed when they already feel so from academic requirements and other school events. Some anonymous interviewees stated that “everything said in the class meetings can be said through email, except for Hubbard Talks.” They also claimed that “class meetings are too long… they take up the whole community time when I can study more for a test.” In response to such comments, it is often answered that the students should study during appointed study hall times or during their free times. However, many students feel nervous about major assignments and wish to review when they can.

Class meeting have both pros and cons. Though we have mandatory class meetings every other week, we, as a school community, should think about the pros and cons again for a better school environment.