Reflection on the Sophomore Retreat

Photo Credit: Angel Song’18

This past week, the Class of 2020 had the opportunity to venture up to Camp Becket in Massachusetts and spend two days bonding with peers. From high ropes to canoeing to square dancing, the current sophomores connected in ways they had never before. I, personally, had the chance to interact with people in my grade who I would never have talked to on a daily basis before. While the Camp didn’t have electricity and the bathrooms were not the best, it was all made up for by the fact that so many connections were made and friendships flourished. The sun was shining, the water was crystal blue, and all was well.

After Sophomore Retreat, I had the chance to talk to some of my classmates about their thoughts and how they were affected by the trip. One of my roommates, Olivia Malcomson, commented, “I think the way upperclassmen negatively portrayed their experiences influenced my expectations for the retreat. But, since we had better weather this year, I think that made our trip and the activities that we did a lot more enjoyable. I also think sophomore retreat was a great opportunity to meet people who I wouldn’t normally be interacting with.”

Photo Credit: Angel Song’18

Fellow sophomore, Sadie Gardner, agreed, saying, “I know last year, it was super cold, so everyone wasn’t very enthusiastic about it…I was worried about that for this year, but we had gorgeous weather, which I was super happy about.” She continued on to say, “I went canoeing on my first day and I was a bit nervous about it, because I was with some people I didn’t really know that well, but we ended up having a lot of fun… The whole trip was a bonding thing, which was really fun…Personally, I didn’t get to know a lot of new sophomores, but overall, it was so fun.”

At the end of the day, Sophomore Retreat provided current sophomores with the chance to get outside, bond with classmates, and enjoy the experience, which many did. Even though we all came back exhausted and half asleep, the trip was definitely a success.