Cutler: Cutting it or not?

Cutler Hall: the towering construction project in the center of campus, the project that appeared out of thin air, almost literally. After gathering people’s opinions about the new development on the Island, I found that most students have one question that MUST be answered: why now? Richmond was just opened and constructed, and others want to know why Gwendolyn has to be torn down.

Everyone has acknowledged the inconvenience that this new project brings to the quotidian life of Pelicans; this project blocks the path to Richmond, a straight shot from central campus to the gym for all the day students and the community during a convocation. The project poses an obstacle for anybody trying to reach the health center, and is indirectly ruining the grass in the surrounding area, as inconvenienced students walk on the grass as a new pathway.

“It’s really inconvenient for my walk to Richmond since I already live on the third floor” laments a Richmond boarder. She sighs heavily, saying, “My walk was already long to get to the third floor, but now with Cutler in the way getting to classes is harder.”

Some of the faculty members and students worry about the effect Cutler has on prospective families. Cutler Hall centers itself as the first thing one sees when driving onto campus, and with construction carrying out through all of next year, Cutler presents itself as a possible deal breaker for students. However, advocates of this new edifice strongly believe that Cutler represents Loomis’s passion for constant upgrading of our facilities to make Loomis a better place. However, the cacophonous noise ringing from the construction site irritates some Richmond girls.

“The noise doesn’t really affect me directly, but I’ve heard about it bothering some of the other girls,” says an indifferent day student. While some of the people acknowledge the presence and purpose of the coming of Cutler Hall, others remain nonchalant, or worse, vexed, about all aspects of Cutler. The majority of the community, however, expresses distaste for the timing and placement of Cutler, as Cutler’s facilities are not yet in use for current students. While Cutler Hall provides extra room for boarders, is the Cutler construction project a timely one, or should the project have been stalled, especially after the recent completion of the novel and grandiose Richmond?

Personally, I find the timing quite sudden and difficult to come to terms with. Even as a student who does not have a lot of reasons to cross by the area where the construction zone resides, I, too, find the restricted areas inconvenient. To get to the gym for convocations, to visit friends in Richmond, or to visit the health center is an extended trip—especially when trying to squeeze into a ten-minute duration between passing periods.

The loss of Gwendolyn is rather bittersweet, especially since it has a historical significance in our community. Gwendolyn Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus, and despite its imperfections, it could have possibly been renovated. Most of the students seem disappointed in the construction of Cutler Hall and dislike the interference that inevitably ensued; nevertheless, students are excited for the designs of the new dorm and look forward to the finished product, whether or not they enjoy the process.