Mercy Art Gallery Fall Opening: A Celebration of Writing and Art

Photo Courtesy of Duncan Reed '18

Photo Courtesy of Duncan Reed '18

On Tuesday, September 20, the Mercy Art Gallery featured street photographer Hank Paper’s photography collection, “Cuba on the Brink: Arrested Development,” as well as some students’ work from the Emerging Artists and Writers programs.

Originally from Connecticut, Mr. Paper has traveled around the world to pursue his love for photography. His work has been featured in many publications, such as the San Francisco Examiner and the L.A. Times Sunday Magazine, and in numerous gallery exhibitions. Mr. Paper’s photo collection, displayed in the Mercy Gallery, depicts snippets of daily life in Cuba through a series of unstaged photographs that cover subjects ranging from people and nature to architecture. A Cuban band, Heshima y Ofrecimiento, performed throughout the reception, while students admired both the photographs from Mr. Paper and poems written by their peers.

The Emerging Artists and Emerging Writers collection, which is comprised of visual art and writing pieces produced over the summer by students who wish to maintain, sharpen, deepen, and develop their skills, also hung on the wall outside the Mercy Gallery. Students’ reactions towards their classmates’ works and the format of the exhibition were overwhelmingly positive and supportive. Commenting on the cool combination of visual art and writing, senior Adriana Gonzales said, “I appreciated that the poems were hung with the art; I have never seen [this combination] in an art show before.” Liam Scott ’19, whose work was featured in the Emerging Writers collection, said that it was thought-provoking to see what other students have been working on over the summer. Another emerging writer Jet Ebualy ’18 was delighted by the warm reception her piece. “Emerging Writers was a really great experience; the feedback [that I received] from my teachers, friends, and even random people was awesome,” she said.

Paper’s exhibition will remain on display in the Richmond Art Center through October 25th, and the Emerging Artists and Writers collection will remain for most of the fall term.