Settling on the Island

Photo Courtesy of Anna Meyer '17

After a week of jet-lagged nerves in New York, I arrived at Loomis for the first time as a new member of the community, trying in vain to find a parking spot in the humid crest of a late August heat wave. My move-in was relatively brief, thanks to the kind assistance of my new roommate and his family, and I was soon hustled off to orientation. After all the ball passing name-games, handshakes, and endless trudging, I was exhausted but excited. Though my teary farewell to my parents and to the life I’d left behind still haunts me to this day, the same excitement is what helped me most while managing the price of change.

Every year, sweating in summer’s last hurrah, students and faculty polish off their new abodes. The suitcases are stowed away in dusty, forgettable places for the year and all of the hundreds of creased cardboard boxes eventually find their way to the recycling corral. With that, they finish the easiest part of moving in. To arrange personal belongings in a room will take hours or even the whole day, but for most, turning a dorm into a home and making batch of strangers into neighbors comes with time. In the words of Garret Keough, a Taylor PG, “not one thing in particular [has eased my transition. Walking around seeing different people and learn[ing] about the campus … the little things like where to go for food and favorite places to be.”

Fortunately, finding a place in the community is not as hard. “I think [the school] is very welcoming- everyone looks out for each other,” says Mr. Reed, a new faculty member. “People from [my] dorm, department, athletics,” he continued, “all have offered very genuine advice”. For everyone at the beginning of the year, the time tested Loomis saying, “get involved,” has a notably greater value. “[It’s] helped to interact with as many people as I could” explains Jeri Kim, a new sophomore. When trying to discover the intricacies of a new community, interaction with unfamiliar faces seems unavoidable at Loomis.

With an abundance of support available, from roommates to counselors, learning the ins and outs of the campus is often less than challenging, especially to those that make a genuine effort to find out about the different dynamics at play. Although a seamless transition is not always possible, like everything else in Loomis, effort will get you far.