Prom is fast approaching, and for all you young lovers out there who need a hand getting the hang of it, here are some prom tips from a prom veteran.
1) If you are getting a simple hairstyle, do not pay a salon. I repeat, DO NOT. There are so many people who can do just as well at your school, for way less money — 90% less on average. I have gotten my hair done for free two out of three times going to prom, and this year I am paying my friend ten dollars, only because I insisted.
2) Same with makeup. If you’re going for a simple look and you have your own foundation, mascara, and eyeliner, have your friend do it for you if you aren’t comfortable doing it yourself.
IMPORTANT: The trick to both of these tips is to do test runs beforehand, to make sure you are getting what you want. Also, please make sure the person who is doing your makeup/hair knows that he or she is doing it more than a week in advance. You have no idea how many times I have had friends guilted into prom makeup at the last minute. It was not cool.
3) Know your limits and plan. All of prom depends on your knowing your own plans and working together with your friends and parents to get your dress lookin’ good, and your night lookin’ bright.
4) Take pictures with people besides your prom date once at prom, and don’t only hang out with your prom date. If you are actually dating your prom date, you do not know what terms you two will be on in another couple of days, months, or years. Make sure your prom is not all about him or her, and make sure you have fun too.
5) Bring a pair of socks or comfortable slip-on shoes — whatever fits in your bag. Dancing in your six-inch BCBG heels just isn’t practical, honey, let’s be real.
6) Bring back-up lipstick for post-food pictures, if you are into that.
Make sure you have a good time! Whether you are a senior or a freshman, eat and chill and try not to get kicked out. Good luck!
[email-subscribers namefield="YES" desc="" group="Public"]